Bumpy Road


 Well, just me. Little update on things. I was on the Methotrexate for 4 weeks and it didn't help with pain or inflammation at all.  It did cause some hair to come out, for the hair that I do have to dry out, and for total exhaustion throughout my body.  It really was a great 4 weeks!  (just kidding!)  My last dose was just a few days ago so I'll be glad when it is out of my system.

Apparently it must help most people because they were really surprised when I had absolutely nothing positive to say about the last 4 weeks.  My knee swelled so much I could not squat.  My hands had sharp pain several times this month.  Hips hurt constantly not just when I'm trying to sleep.  And my feet are still swelling.  So really - nothing positive to say.  ๐Ÿ˜‚ So, they drew blood and are now doing a pharmacogenetics test.  

Besides the physical part of it all - I am really missing being me.  I want to be outdoors.  Go on a hike. Yes, I know that it is 100 degrees out and it's way too hot to even think about it.  But, right now - I know that I actually could not physically do it.  There is a difference. I'd take a day at flea markets or Silver Dollar City.  But, I am exhausted by the weekends. My son and I go to the early service on Sunday mornings.  We usually go to a few flea markets or Goodwill before we have lunch.  By noon or 1, I am done.  If I am still out by 2, then I'm hurting so much and so tired that I can't drive.  I go home and lay down with ice packs. The Saturdays that I go see my 80 year old mother, by the time I get home in the afternoon - I am exhausted and hurting.  Cooking supper is big deal lately.  Cleaning house, well, that's funny.  

When I started this journey the beginning of the year, the pain was there during the day, but it didn't stop me.  I could still basically do what I wanted to do.  Sleeping was hard.  Hands hurt once in a while.  But, spur of the moment trip - I was ready!  However, I knew my arthritis was going to get worse.  Foot started swelling.  The first foot doctor blamed arthritis.  So, thankfully a friend that reads these updates was able to get me in the right direction.  Looking at my pain levels which have gotten so much worse just in 6 months. I cannot imagine the hopeless feeling that I would have at this point -- if I knew that I could not even get help.  The Mercy rheumatology clinic denied me because of my blood work and I was suddenly at a stopping point with no where to go.  But God. Yes, right now, I am tired and hurting every day.  The calcium deposits that are on my hips and lower back where my tendons connect -- are one of the signs of the late stages of osteoarthritis.  I don't know what the next steps are. But I am still thankful.  

  Thankful that someone reached out and helped even when they didn't have to.  Thankful that I am not still trying to find a doctor to listen to me. Thankful my boys feed me when I’m too tired to care at night. I do wish that this road that I am on would wait until I'm in my 70's  -- instead of hitting me smack in the face at 50.  But at this point, I am still hopeful.  My next appointment is in the middle of September with the main rheumatologist.  I still need a MRI on my feet to look at the tendons because of the swelling.  But the thankfulness and hopefulness are what's keeping afloat right now.  I know that I am not walking this road alone.  God has given me the strength to get through everything that I have already been through --  which is a lot the last 4 years.  I don't know what the next 12 months will look like.  Okay -- let's be honest.  I don't even know what the next 6 months will look like.  Ice packs can only do so much. But, I'm hanging in there. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
I’m so sorry for all you are dealing with. Praying healing prayers for you.๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป

Popular posts from this blog

Cancer - so now what?

Snap, Crackle, and Pop

2012 Spring Contest!!