Thursday, August 25, 2011

Others Are Watching

We all have our struggles. Some are daily from our job or our families. Some struggles might happen spiritually or even financially. All of those struggles cause us stress and frustration. Then ~ there are those big struggles. Those moments that happen that leave us changed.

The difficulty could be anything. It might be bankruptcy. It could be a divorce. Or an autism diagnosis. Or a death. Or even cancer. Those are hard pills to swallow. Yet, all of us have been there ourselves or with a loved one. And ~ unless God calls us home ~ we will be going through it again.

And when we get that phone call ~ it is easy to ask the question, "why?" Why today Lord? Why does it happen to me or my family? Why can't everything be back to normal? Why? Why? Why?

"Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? 'Father, save me
from this hour'? But for this purpose I have come to this hour.
Father, glorify your name." Then a voice came from heaven: "I
have glorified it, and I will glorify it again." John 12:27-28


Did you read that? It is for His glory. Sometimes we go through difficulties because we need it. We have something to learn. We need to be sharpened. But, I believe, sometimes we go through things for others benefit. God knows that we can handle it because His plan is better than ours. As we go through ~ our faith and our trust standing firm and rooted ~ others can see God's glory through us. Even through our pain, we are God's light to this dark world. Others may learn to know God just from watching us. Most of the time, we'll never know who we influence. So, we must carry on as if everyone is watching.


Have you ever been inspired by some one else going through difficulties with grace? Recently, a friend's mother was diagnosed with cancer. It was in more than one spot and chemo was to start immediately. She went through six rounds of chemo. Yes, six! And although, I know there were days when she was so sick she didn't want to get out of bed ~ her faith and her humor helped her through. (as well as God's grace!) The beauty of her soul spread to those around her. It also spread several hundred miles away to me. She is cancer free today because the Lord still has plans for her life. (God can still heal!) Her acceptance and grace for God's plan is something that I'll always remember. Her faith was rooted in something deeper than found on this earth. She inspires me to be that light in whatever God puts before me. Through the difficulties, God's light can still shine.

No comments: