Monday, August 29, 2011

Moving On Up...


Luke was so proud to be sitting on my hospital bed holding Faith for the first time. Who knew looking at that adorable three year old face what struggles would come? I know that I didn't... but God did. And when in the mists of this mess... God provides a message to keep going ~ keep trying ~ don't give up through our message at church on Sunday.

"Save me, O God! For the waters have
come up to my neck. I sink in deep mire,
where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood
sweeps over me. " Psalm 69:1-3


No, that is not the message of hope that we went over! LOL Yet, I understand this passage. I am sure that each of you have been there as well at some point in your lives. What do you do when the water is about to take you down? You look up! That is where my hope is. Sitting on my knees at the altar asking for God's help and direction through this ~ having two wonderful Christian women praying with me ~ that is God's hand. I know that He will see me through.

Another amazing lady told me recently that all of us are called and a few are chosen. And, you are chosen for this path. So, hand in hand with God, I walk along this path. I did send out those e-mails to the vice-principal and resource teacher. Luke's resource teacher messaged me back and said she didn't know about Friday. I didn't get a response today for the vice-principal, so I took myself up there. Mr.D is a wonderful guy and made the transition so much easier for Luke and I because he genuinely cares for the kids. BUT ~ he left me with the idea that he totally understood my position but there wasn't much he could do. He is going to speak to the teachers on how they speak to the kids. (don't tell them they got a lower score, when they already know the reward is for the kids who did good on the test. Seriously? That's the fix?) So, now to the next rung on the ladder. I have written an e-mail to the principal. I have also written the letter to the superintendent for K-7. I'll re-read them in the morning to double check them. (I catch a lot of errors that way!)

I realize that some might be thinking, "Really? Seriously? It's an ice cream cone!" But, it is more than that. It honestly boils down to discrimination towards the below average kids. It just tells the children that their effort and their hard work doesn't matter. (When I've been telling Luke since kindergarten how much it does matter!!) Luke was only 14 points from being average!! That's amazing accomplishment from the previous year! Yet, he knows that he is still not good enough to even get the reward. When you seperate the kids, the rest of the class/pod knows why they are not there. It's embarassing. Plus, they go into another room to do more work while their peers are outside visiting and eating. It is just plain wrong. There are many children that will never make that mark. They will never be 'average'. We need to celebrate their hard work and effort ... not the grade itself.

Thank you for all of your kind words. I appreciate your prayers. God gave me Luke for many reasons. I wouldn't be half the mom...woman...or Christian I am without him in my life.

No comments: