Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Kids Are Not Born A Brat


Have you hear about some restaurants banning children? I know ~ it sounds a bit severe, doesn't it? But, think of some the kids your children go to school with. . . maybe even neighbors. . . and, sad to say, even kids in your own church. Geez!! Once my kids are grown and I don't have to put up with them, would I want to?? It's not the ones that have had a hard life or being raised by single parents most of the the time. It's kids with both parents and no discipline.

Yeah, I said the big "D" word!! DISCIPLINE!! So many parents, let their kids get away with everything. There is no respect towards their parents, so (of course!) there isn't any respect towards other adults. Many of the teenagers today are carrying around IPhones. They are driving around cars that we as a family could not afford. They do not understand what it means to work towards something. To value the gifts they have been given. The children (and some adults) are in a "me, me, me" society. Just like that child in the picture. I see it. I want it. If I cry, some one will give it to me. (F.Y.I. You cannot buy their love.)

Parents, we are not here to be their best friends. That is not the role God has given us. As much as my kids are open and honest with me, I know that I don't know everything that goes on and all their feelings. And, as much as I would like to, I really shouldn't. I want that open communication that I didn't have growing up but I also have to realize that I'm their parent, not their B.F.F. That is what their friends and/or cousins are for. Or maybe another adult, like an aunt or uncle. Our role as parents, according to God's word is to guide and yes, to discipline our children. As children grow and become adults, that respect for their parents and other adults will still be there.



"Whoever spares the rod, hates their children, but the one who
loves their children is careful to discipline them." ~ Proverbs 13:24

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on,
however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those
who have been trained by it." ~ Hebrews 12:11

"A rod and a reprimand impart wisdom, but a child left undisciplined
disgraces it's mother." ~ Proverbs 29:15

"Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish them with
the rod, they will not die. Punish them with the rod and save them from death." ~ Proverbs 23:13-14



Maybe I'm getting old...okay, be quite... yes, I know I'm getting old, but that is not the point!! :) I notice the lack of respect for others so much more today. Children seem not to care when an adult tells them to do something. Remember when walking on a sidewalk and adult came by and you got over to let them pass?? Yesterday, Kent and I had to move over for a group of teenagers. It is so pathetic really. Kids were sitting on the track at the Jones Center while we were trying to walk and wouldn't move even after Kent metioned that this is a track for walking.


Chilren feel so entitiled today. Kids are not born brats. They are born a blank slate with their own little personality quirks that God has given them. Yet, they learn not only from example, but from what you enforce in your home. If they can get away with it, they will. (just like us, huh?) It is us, as parents, to set boundries. Not because we want our kids under our thumbs, but because we love them. Just as God does with us. Next time your out with a large group, watch your children. See how they interact with not only other children, but with adults. Make sure they are showing respect towards adults and concern with the smaller kids. Don't let your kids be the ones other parents don't want to be around.
.


No comments: