Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day


Father's Day once again. It has been two years since I've spent it with my Dad. In those years there are moments that I wish I could have called him up and talked with him. Times that I know my kids wished that he was there.

It just reminds me about how important the role of a man, a father, is in a person's life. Two years later and that hole is still there. After talking with others that have lost a parent, even 10 years down the road, that hole will still be there. Yes, birthdays and holidays will get easier. But ~ that spot ....that void.....will never be filled again. Maybe if we realized that while they were here, we'd treasure those moments more. My Dad used to call me seriously at least 10 times a day. Those phone calls were about anything. He found a show on the kids would like. The Razorbacks are playing (woo-PIG-sooie!!) It's going to rain. ANYTHING! Yes, they would get annoying sometimes. But now ~ I'd love to have another day of it. Amazing how your perspective can change, isn't it?

So, today we were thankful for all of the father's in our family. And, since it's Father's Day and my husband and father-in-law like pie, well, they got pie! My father-in-law and brother-in-law like blueberry, so I made one of those. My husband told me that he used to love the raisin pie Grandma Yarbrough made when they were kids. So, I made raisin pie. (it's okay, nothing to write home about! But then, I'm not a raisin kinda' girl. I like butterscotch chips in my oatmeal cookies, not raisins. So, I'm not a fair judge! They liked it so I guess it was good.) I also made a chocolate peanut butter torte because well ~ I wanted some chocolate! :)

I am very blessed to have the men still in my family. My husband. My father-in-law. My brother-in-law. They are all good men. But, I am looking forward to that day when I am held in my father's arms again.

"Fathers, do no provoke your children to anger, but bring them up

in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:4

No comments: