Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Faces of the Past







I do love old pictures. I've been working on our genealogy for over fourteen years now. Well, on and off. My husband says I'm an all or nothing kinda' person. I'll dig it out and just work on it. Stay up late trying to figure things out. Of course, having the kids in those years ~ there are several years that I didn't even crack it open! My oldest, Joey, is into it as well. So, we got a program and we are trying to organize all the notes and papers that I've accumulated. Trying to put the pieces together. It's summer now (woo-hoo!!) so I've stayed up a few times this week until 1 am trying to find things. It really is amazing how much is out there on the Internet! I've spent lots of hours looking up things on microfilm in years past, but now so much is online. Okay ~ I just re-read that and I sound like an old person!! Geez!! ;~D


Take for instance the last picture. His is John William Yarbrough but for some reason everyone called him "Riggs." That is my children's great-great grandfather Yarbrough. He was a pentecostal preacher. In the middle photo, he is the young man standing in the middle behind the child. Doesn't he look like a nice man? The picture is just...priceless to me! To find out stories and photos of people long ago in our family is so important! Our family is from Newton and Carroll County but there is one young man in our family that went to Ohio to sign up for the Civil War so he could fight for freedom! Amazing! FYI: If you are wondering about that cute little baby, that is 10 month old Ruth Baker. She was...let me see...my kids great-great grandfather Baker had a brother named Burton William Baker. That is his daughter.


Okay, I'm now done with my genealogy lesson! I came across this verse while reading and thought it seemed to fit:


"As for man, his days are like grass;
he flourishes like a flower of the field;
for the wind passes over it, and it is gone,
and its places knows it no more.
But, the steadfast love of the Lord
is from everlasting to everlasting..."
Psalm 103:15-17

2 comments:

Holly said...

Wow. I don't have ANY pictures that old! What a legacy you can leave for your kids. They know you honor the past, so of COursE you will honor their lives! : )

Where did you get all your pictures???

Jen Snow said...

Grandma Yarbrough has a lot of pictures since she was the only child, they didn't get split up. I'm now being about to match "Aunt Katie" with names and dates! :) For my side of the family, we went to Iowa a few years ago to go diggin'. I don't have a lot for each side of the family but even today I discovered a few that my mother has and didn't think much about. I was so excited!!