Monday, January 10, 2011

Time heals all wounds?

"It has been said that 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds
remain. In time, the mind, protecting it's sanity, covers them with scar
tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~ Rose F. Kennedy

I like to look up quotes. They give an insight to the person who said them. They can also give me another way of looking at things. Tonight, I was thinking of the the saying that 'time heals all wounds.' I never really believed that one. If you hold anger or hurt about something that happened 10 years ago ~ your still carrying it around. It didn't heal or go away in that time. I know about that personally. I've delt with a lot of things that happened growing up. I can honestly say that it's forgiven. I may have some scars but it is healed. But ~ I do have one thing I struggle with. It has to do with my son and yes, it is still a wound that is unhealed. The pain has lessened through the years, but it's still there. When I think about it, my blood pressure goes up and I want to slap someone.

But, if time doesn't heal all wounds, what does? I believe it takes work. Healing wounds takes forgiving those who did it, so the pain can truly heal. I didn't forgive my past wounds to help those who did them. Some of them could care less if I forgive them or not. I forgave them for ME. I was tired of carrying around the hurt & pain. In Luke 6:26-29:

"But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who
hate you, bless those that curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If some
one slaps you on one cheek, turn to give them the other also..."


If I give hurt because of hurt or give pain because of pain ~ what good is that? When does the cycle stop? Time cannot heal all wounds. But ~ love can.

1 comment:

Holly said...

You are right-they are definitely not gone OR forgotten. Time helps, as we have lived since then and have other things to think about, and the memories have grown a tiny bit smaller. I think Love does heal, and patience heals us.
ANd forgiveness is all about the forgiver. It frees up space in our heart to make room for more blessings. When we focus on the yuck, we aren't watching for good things!
ps-I found a cool Autism blinkie here, thought you might like it! : )
oops-I can't post a link, but here it is (you'll have to highlight and copy!):
http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/free-extras/accessorize-your-blog/item/644/asInline.html