Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Not Superwoman


There are those days where you feel like you can do it all. You know, those days where you can "bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan." LOL Then, there are those other days where you feel like the bacon cooking in the skillet! :) Yesterday I was superwoman with dinner in the oven and cooking pancakes for this morning's breakfast. Today ~ well, I am leaning on God a little heavier today.

Not that it's been a bad day. Just some days are harder than others when autism & learning disabilities are a part of your life. It is so hard to watch your children struggle. My son has made it to middle school now. I remember when we started kindergarten with him. The struggles. The fighting the system. Now, he has 7 or 8 teachers and only two are special education teachers. It's so hard to let go . . . I know inside that it's part of growing up. I also know that God doesn't let go. He is there even when I cannot be.

Luke struggles so much with reading. He always has. I also know that once they get a certain grade, they don't even work on reading. (is that not stupid??) They teach life skills. (isn't reading a life skill??) Let's not get me started on that! Anyway ~ at this point, yes, one of his special education teachers work on his reading. I'm not sure really what they are doing because I still don't see any progress. He hasn't made any real gains in reading for years it seems. Luke has some great teachers but reading is still a struggle. So, it's up to me.

I do feel the pressure. My son needs to learn how to read above the level he is at and what is happening at school is not enough to help him. So many of the learning things they do is on the computer. (reading 180 is a reading program they have put him on several times) Luke doesn't do well learning on the computer. I've pointed this out several times over the years. It's back to the basics. A book on his level and a patient momma. Sounds easy, huh? I wish it were. There are so many things that have to get done before we can have our reading time. Supper. Dishes. Homework. There are times that by the time it's reading time, the patient mommy is no where to be found. But, that's what he deserves. I'm not a superwoman. I'm just a mom trying to do what's best for her son leaning on God through it all.

No comments: