Saturday, January 8, 2011

Our Guest List

I've been reading a book with that title. It's interesting. It talks about how God brings certain Guests into our lives. Some may just be here briefly. Even just moments. It takes only moments to make our day better or to change our lives. He brings some in our lives to stay. Some may not even be a positive interaction. But ~ they are here to help us through difficulties. Or teach us things. That is our Guest List.

When I think about my guest book and who has impacted my life, it's really harder than you think. Of course, it doesn't have to be an actual person you've met. It could be the author of a book that changed your way of thinking. It could be a tv show that changed you. Who ever and how ever God got the message to you. And what was that message? Debbie Macomber's book goes into people that are on her Guest List and how they have changed her life. Sometimes a neighbor. One couple was in having their child the same time as she had hers. Who has God sent to me? And have I acknowledged the gift?


"Therefore I am sending you prophets and wise men and teachers."

~ Matthew 23:34


I know my friend and Aunt-like figure is sent from God. She helped me through so much growing up. I know on my Guest List is Grandma Yarbrough. My grandmother died when I was younger, around Luke's age I guess. I remember her a little but I never got to have that relationship with her before she died. I know that Grandma is a special guest. So thankful. I also know that God has given me my friend Kerri and her family. I have known Kerri since grade school. We spent the night at each others house when younger. I always loved it. Her family is so normal. I always felt love in their home. Then, as we got in high school, other friends came and we grew farther apart. School ended. Marriage and kids came. We reconnected and we've been there for each other now in a different part of our lives. Marriage. Divorce. Kids. Her friendship is a blessing! And I've gained 3 great kids and her two wonderful parents as well! Her parents have shown me that there are healthy, loving marriages that are for a lifetime! Of course, not every guest is a pleasant one. We cannot grow and learn if everything were peachy here on this side!! :~D There have been guests that I thought were my friends but ended up teaching me when to let go, not hang on, and gain some self-respect. (hard lessons you cannot learn in a book) There are also those that I've realized I cannot please. They will always find something I did or say and twist it around. I can honestly say that I'm not a mean and hateful person. I don't do things to intentionally hurt those around me but you'd think I was a witch if you heard their view of me. I know that I'm not perfect. (But ~ I am Forgiven.) I have lots to give if given the chance. I just need to be given that chance. Those are a few of the people on my Guest List. There are many others that come to mind as well. Moments and people that have helped me along. Do you recognize anyone you know in the description? I know that I need to stop and be thankful for each Guest in my life. The good ones that warm my heart and the ones that make me grow.

No comments: