Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Question of Modesty

Faith and I were out looking at clothes one day after school. I was looking for Joey some shorts while she was trying to get me to the girl clothes. We wondered over there and they had some bathing suits hanging up. There she found a colorful two piece. I'm talking a real two piece. Not the boy cut one she's had before (but didn't feel comfortable so she never wore). I'm talking a serious bikini for a 9 year old!

I'm really not an old stooge when it comes to clothes. Faith gets to pick most of it out and she does a good job. She doesn't like the way the girl's shirts fit. (they are tight) She's really a size 8/9 (medium) but they are cut so tight that she likes the 10/12 (large). She loves the tank tops and cami tops. And I don't see anything wrong with that. (maybe when she starts filling out those shirts, I might change my mind! LOL) The shorts for girls are just as bad. They are inches shorter than boy's shorts for the same size. I want to ask clothing makers, "do we really need to exploit our little girls??"

Yet, there are some shirts she just loves because it's like one Cara (her 19 year old cousin) wears. Those shirts are left at the store. They should not have been made in a child's size nine!! Then, there is of course that bikini. And, of course, she played the "all my friends" have one card. I reminded her that the two piece I agreed on and bought her last year made her feel self conscience and she never wore it. But, "I'm bigger now". (in a whinny, 2 year old voice!) So, I asked her would God want you to wear this? Would you wear this in front of your church friends? The answer to that was, "no". So, that was was my answer too. Faith is only 9 and I am having conversations on modesty. Jeez!! I know that this is just the beginning. Every Mom has to make those decisions on what's best for their little girls. There are no wrong decisions. It's just that I don't like the bikini on my baby girl.



"Be careful to live properly among you unbelieving neighbors. Then, even if
they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior
and they will give honor to God when He judges the world."
1 Peter 2:12


"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair
and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of
your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quite spirit, which is of
great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-4

No comments: