Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Power of a Grandmother



Grandma Yarbrough, Mother's Day 2011


Grandma Yarbough with her mother, Carrie, in 1930.


God's plans really are amazing. At the time ~ going through trials of this life ~ it can be hard to say that. Especially when I was younger and didn't understand. Now, I know that whatever or whoever comes into my life is in God's plans. Some things (or people) teach me things so that I can grow. Some times I am there to help another grow.

I only started out with one set of grandparents and lost both of them before I was a teenager. It was hard at the time. I never go to really know them before they were gone. I don't have very many memories of them which is sad. I know they loved me because I always felt that: The love. It taught me not to take family for granted. So, I am very thankful that God has put Grandma Yarbrough in my life.

It's amazing to me that God knew that I would have that void in my life. And in His wondrous, complicated plans for my life ~ He gave me a Grandmother. Nope, no one is too old to need that role model in their life. She has been such a blessing in my life for the past 14 years. Grandma was always the one to accept you as you were. She just wants a little of your time. Just to sit and visit or to play dominoes or Skip-Bo. Maybe share some pie. (one of her favorites!) I've always made sure that my kids grew up knowing her, not just seeing her a couple times a year at family get togethers. My kids know how special she is because they have gone to her place since they were babies. She used to go out and play Frisbee with them when she was in her 80's!!

Of course ~ that makes this time so much harder. The getting older part of life. She's going to be 95 this August. Grandma is still doing remarkable well for her age. But ~ in the back of my mind as I click another picture ~ I wonder, will this be her last Mother's Day? I hope that she knows how much we love her. I think that she does. She cries when I tell her. But, you never know which picture will be the last. Which "I Love you" will be the last.


"Grandma always made you feel like she had been waiting to see just you
all day, and now the day was complete." ~ unknown

No comments: