Thursday, April 26, 2012

Another IEP

Today was my IEP conference for Luke.  We go over progress or regression that has happened.  We try to figure out what worked and what didn't.  Then, we set a plan for the coming year.  Some years are harder than others.  The assistant-principal had a chart on his computer about Luke from 1st or 2nd grade and up.  He pointed out that in 4th grade and 5th grade, Luke made some good progress according to test results.  We could see that 2nd grade missed.  (so true!)  And third grade showed some leveling out.  (that wonderful teacher needed to just love on him because of second grade.  which she did wonderfully!  She got him to like school again and gain lost confidence.)

Middle school was a good experience for Luke overall.  The resource teacher and the assistant-principal helped him in SO many ways.  He's grown and matured the past two years.  They pushed him a little out of his comfort zone to watch him grow.  The downfall of middle school would be that Luke doesn't have a good friend.  I really don't want Luke to be a loner in school.  It's so hard!  Now, my baby is moving on to Jr. High.  How did that happen??  And, the dreaded changing of schools.  I wasn't too sure about moving to middle school, but there was support at the conferences while Luke was still in elementary.  That helps give us worrying Mamma's a little ease.  To meet the people your trusting the care of your child too. (and to see their care and concern is real)  Was there a representative from the jr. high at my meeting today?

Of course not!  She was on the list of the people who were supposed to attend the meeting.  A no-show!  :(  I was hoping to talk with some one about the scheduling for next year.  I just wanted a little bit of ease of mind so then I could pass it on to Luke.  Instead I have to fake it again.  If they only knew the stress special-education kids have regarding their teachers and schedules all summer long!  Take the concern the 'normal' kids might have and multiply it!  They also warned me that next year was Luke's evaluation.  And, since he is still receiving services under speech/language, I might have to be a Momma' Bear to keep it that way. 

I did get to hear how wonderful Luke is.  :)  They told me he is like an old soul in that young body.  That's how a lot of people described me growing up.  They told me how concerned he is of the well-being of others.  How he concentrates on his work even when other's would rush him.  How he is willing to try and not give up.  And how sweet and encouraging he is to others.  All things that make me proud of the person he is becoming.   Grades and test scores don't make you.  They are just a small part of the picture.   It's the perseverance in life and how you treat others that people remember.  Luke is on his way!

No comments: