Monday, September 5, 2011

September 11



Do you remember what you were doing that Setember 11th day? Do you remember where you were? I was working in a coffee shop in Rogers at that time blissfully unaware of the events. My boss always had the radio on some classical stuff that had no commercials. My husband came in with my two boys in tow and told us. My boss turned the music off and put on a normal radio station. I couldn't believe it.

Then, when I got home, I immediately turned on the television. I just watched the towers fall down over and over again. Should I mention that I was pregnant with Faith? I cried so much. Songs on the radio. Watching the news. Just thinking about it could bring me to my knees. No, I didn't know anyone there. I have no family in New York. But I felt bonded ... connected ... just as so many other people across the country. I wanted to protect my children, born and unborn, from everything. My husband was worried that I was making myself sick and would change the channel and try to watch something funny. Yet, it was always there...

My oldest and I watched the documentaries last year during this time. I was able to say, "yes, I remember that..." It was a time the country became One Nation Under God. When helping another person became important. It was time when Heroes did not wear spandex, but fireproof helmets. It was a time when churches filled with people searching for God and hope... and reasons. I wonder where those people are now.


"The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed,
a stronghold in times of trouble.
Those who know your name trust in you,
for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you."
Psalm 9:9-10


No comments: