Thursday, September 8, 2011

Prayer


God answered Solomon, 'Because this was in your heart, and you have not asked possessions, wealth, honor, or the life of those who hate you, and have not even asked long life, but have asked wisdom and knowledge for yourself that you may govern my people over whom I have made you king, wisdom and knowledge are granted to you. I will also give you riches, possessions, and honor, such as none of the kings had who were before you, and none after you shall have the like.' 2 Chronicles 1:10-12

What an awesome example of a heart dedicated to the love of Christ. For Solomon doesn't ask for things of this world: not wealth or fame; nor honor or health. He asked God for wisdom and knowledge. It makes me stop and think about what I'm asking for.

KLRC was talking about prayer one morning on the way to work. (It's Christian radio)Some one even brought up praying for something as small as a good parking spot. The DJ said that it would be hard for her pray about something as trivial as that when there are children in Africa starving. I understand that. Seriously, I could use the walk up to the store!! LOL :) I have never asked God for good parking, but I know there are things of less importance that have been spoken from my lips in prayer.

Yet, God wants to be a part of all that we do! He knows our hearts. Therefore, He knows our needs and wants. There are times in this world when we cannot distinguish between them. Our wants somehow get crossed over to our needs list. It is part of our human nature. It gets harder and harder to keep up with everyone else, you know? So, why try?? Because honestly ~ they are trying just as hard to keep up with you!!

Some days I'm so far from jut keeping up with everyone that I think I'm on the wrong track! "I just wish . . . " Yep, I know. Been there. Done that. If fact, I've probably said those three words today at some point. "I just wish . . ." What? that the car would start? that the bills were paid? that dog didn't just pee all over the floor? We all have days like this.

So, no matter what extreme you find yourself in at this moment: keeping up with the neighbors or wishing things were different, remember this ~ God is there through it all. If your greatest need right now is a decent parking spot because it's pouring down rain and you have a job interview ~ Ask your Father. If your greatest need right now is watching a family member deal with cancer ~ Ask your Father. We do have the greatest Father that is willing to help us. He has patience and grace. He won't even roll His eyes at your silly requests. Just Ask. . .


"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." ~ Colossians 3:17

No comments: