Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Your Own Independence Day!

It's Independence Day!

It feels like the 4th of July here!

My brother's birthday is July 3rd, so this holiday does make me think about him. It is sad, but I don't even know him. Yes, he still lives in same city as I do. But, he is a stranger. I remember that his favorite pie was cherry and his favorite candy bar was 3 Musketeers. Those are things a little sister remembers from her big brother.

Kent and I were talking a few nights ago about our families. This conversation goes into how much a Yarbrough he has become. (that's in regards to his grandfather... which is not always a good thing!) Then, it goes to my family. Seriously. What can I say about it? Abuse. Emotional and physical. Secrets. Depression. My childhood had so much stuff in it that I could be several characters in a soap opera!! LOL (yes, I can talk and make jokes now.) My family chain has been very twisted for generations.

But ~

I had my Independence Day!

Those chains from my childhood have been broken. They no longer hold my hands down and tie my feet to a sinking stone. No longer is my mouth taped shut with secrets inside. No longer will the chains be carried on to my own children. What has tied you down? What has silenced your voice? Most of all. . . how do you break the chains?

I believe the first step...the very first step... is to know deep inside that you are loved. You are loved no matter what you have done. Or what you think you have done. It doesn't matter what your parents did or didn't do. It doesn't matter if you grew up rich or poor. You are loved. You can never go so far, that God's love cannot reach you. If you are down and cannot find a way out ~ look inside yourself. Because out of all the places that God chose to live ~ He chose your heart. He is not only found in a pastor or priest. He is not living in a church building ~ He is living in you. With God's help, you can find your voice again. With God's help, you can break free and have your own Independence Day!


"I will put my spirit within you..." Ezekiel 36:27

"Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's spirit dwells in you?"

1 Corinthians 3:16

No comments: