Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Path of Anger


Anger.

Five little letters but when they are linked together become so much more. It is one thing that everyone experiences. It has been around as long as man was here. And, anger itself is not always a sin.

"Therefore having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another. Be angry and do not sin, do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil." Ephesians 4: 25-26

The word 'anger' can sometimes be translated into passion or energy. To me, those two words can describe moments that I have been angry. Yet, being passionate towards the work of God or God's word ~ is a good thing. God has even been angry! In Mark 3:5, God look around in anger at their hardened hearts. BUT, when anger is selfish or to put others down ~ it becomes a sin.

And, like most people, this slips into my own home. I've never had to deal with a sibling with disabilities. I don't know what it's like for Joey and Faith. I realize that everyone handles things differently. Faith tries to help and be more understanding. But, Joey. . . I realize that a 13 year old boy has a lot of hormones running through his system that even he doesn't understand. Yet ~ this anger that he has towards his brother is too much sometimes. I know, I know...siblings fight. That's what I hear all of the time. Brothers will fight. They are supposed to. Yeah, yeah, yeah.


To a 13 (almost 14) year old boy, nothing in life is fair. To add to the hardship of being a teenager ~ he has a brother that requires more attention and "gets away with everything." (Which Luke doesn't but if you ask Joey ~ he does.) I have talked with Joey. Explained things to him. Joey knows why in his head, but in the heat of the moment, he yells: Life is not fair! Which in the heat of the moment my reply usually is: No it isn't!

I do wish that those moments of all us cuddling in the living room watching a movie would last forever! Those moments where we play games without an argument. Those moments when we eat at the table together talking and sharing. But, sooner or later, we have to get up and do the dishes...which brings us back to who's turn it is to do it!!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Aww..it's just part of living. No one can get along for ever. You wouldn't want them to-you have to teach them to deal with conflict, or they'll run from it. It teaches independence too, not all bad. Don't worry, it'll all be different tomorrow. (but it'll come back!)