Thursday, July 14, 2011

Spirit-Led Mom


This is the book that I have been working on lately. I say working for a reason. I can read through a book in day, maybe two. But ~ just reading though it ~ I don't let it sink in... help me...give me something to think about... pray about. And that is what I want.

I love that at the end of each chapter, it gives verses to mediate on. Throughout the book, it gives real women's experiences. I can strive to be one of the Spirit-Led women. One of my favorite paragraphs on discipline in the book is:

"Asserting authority as a parent goes with our job description. As much as we might want to be best friends or pals to our children, that facet of the relationship comes primarily after they have become adults. During their formative years, we parents - with all our human frailties - are the most important authority figures in their lives. We must not abandon our responsibilities."

Motherhood is such an important role we have. We are shaping these young lives with our behavior, actions, and words. It is vital that our children see us as the Christian mother that God has called us to be. Not just because we say we're Christian. Many of the world call themselves Christians. But that we show by example that God is the center of our lives. That our children see us pray. They hear us talk about God (not just at church). Our children see us reaching out to help others in need. They see forgiveness in our actions and words.

It is a reminder also that God will give you what you need, when He knows your ready. That means it is in His time, not yours. Also, you must be quite and still. Slow down. I talk with God all of the time. It is harder for me to just shut up sometimes! So, although God might be giving me the answer that I've asked about twenty times already ~ I am too busy to notice or catch the answer. That is one thing I need to work on. Be still and QUITE. Being a Spirit-Led Mother is too important to miss it because I'm too busy. It is hard work. I haven't lived through the teenage years yet and I'm realizing that it's hard. There will be sleepless nights. Lots of tears shed. But, God has told us that all our hard work is not in vain. We will reap what we sow as long as we are persistant and never give up. Our children are worth it!

"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap,
if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to
everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith."
Galatians 6:9-10 ESV

1 comment:

Holly said...

Girl, I'm trying to be persistent and never give up! : )