Monday, April 4, 2011

Power of Autism

Luke & Faith, 2007

I love those moments when you can take a step back and just be proud. Proud of your kids for who they are becoming. We are given things in this life that shape who we are. Autism has changed our home. It has changed us as parents. It has changed Luke. And, it has changed Joey and Faith.

Both of them understand people with disabilities better than others. Joey has developed an understanding. He has patience for other people with disabilities, yet with his brother ~ his expectations are too high sometimes. Faith from a very young age was sensitive to Luke. Maybe it's the nurturing aspect of a girl. She was a very quick reader and understood that Luke struggled with it. Yet, even in kindergarten and first grade was sensitive to this and would help Luke without bragging.

Now, in school, she loves to help others. I've heard that from all of her teachers that she loves to get her work done and help others that struggle. She is protective of boy with special needs that's been in her class the past two years. Faith likes to sit by him so she can help him stay focused. She has told me that some of the boys make fun of him. It makes me sad because I know that happens ~ it happens to Luke as well. Kids don't understand that disabilities mean they don't have feelings! Just because they might seem like they are in their own little world sometimes does not mean they don't understand what's going on.

A proud moment this weekend. It was this special boy's birthday. After the party before we left, his mother crouched down to Faith and told her thank you. Thank you for helping her son at school. That her son talked about Faith and said that Faith was his friend. I got misty eyed when that happened and right now, I have tears going down my face. It's so important to me that my kids have that character. Acceptance. Tolerance. Love. Because one day, when we are all on the other side, autism will be gone. And these wonderful, special kids will be able to look us in the eyes and speak for themselves. Until then ~ it takes people like my daughter to accept them as they are now.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Your daughter is absolutely precious!! She is tolerant and incredibly kind-you are teaching her well. You deserve a Mommy Award. And Faith? She's an awesome child of God! : ) Bless you both.

Jen Snow said...

Thank you Holly! I don't think I can take credit for this one. It's bigger than me! :) God's given her a heart for others and I can't wait to see where it takes her.