Saturday, April 16, 2011

Love Thy Neighbor



Isn't it amazing what you'll find when you get on the Internet? Some good. Some, well, not so good, but I did love this one! :) I'd love to see this as we are driving through traffic in the morning trying to get to work while we drive over one another. Just a little reminder from the Man upstairs.


"...whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one


command: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' Love does no harm to


a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."


Romans 13: 9-10


Looking in the mirror, I have to think about how am I fulfilling the law. Am I doing my best at loving my neighbor? Am I reaching out when ever possible? Last year I tried to find an organization for us to volunteer at once a month together as a family. My goal was a different one for each month. Twelve different organizations. You really wouldn't believe how hard that is. We made it to a Veteran's Nursing Home and an organization that raised horses for special needs kids. We also made cookies for the people working at the Circle of Life and helped out an animal shelter. But, there is a lot of red tape for people who want to help out. Several the kids have to be closer to 18. Some require background checks and fees. If we're doing a different one every month, it didn't seem worth so much trouble. Maybe my perspective needs to change.


I just know that it's important. I know my kids and I are going to do the Meals on Wheels and Salvation Army this summer. Those are during the week for lunch only, so we can't really can't help out during the school year. My kids really enjoy volunteering and helping out. Everyone loved being able to pick what organization we'd help each month. The ones that I really believe in would be the Children's Shelter and the Women's Shelter. I just want to get out there and make a difference. What a great lesson for my children to be able to see what other kids think of as a normal day. Blessings on both sides!


So, maybe it's time to pick up where I left off last year. Time to be out there...be involved. What about you?

No comments: