Sunday, December 25, 2011

Spirit of Christmas


"For to us a child is born, to us
a son is given; and the govern-
ment shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty
God, Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6


The day that children look forward to has come and gone. The wrapping paper has been cleared up. Christmas music will be coming to an end. Tomorrow everyone will go back to work as if it was just another day. Just another weekend. It's kinda sad.

I know, I know. I think the problem is that I didn't really get into the Christmas spirit until well...a maybe a week ago. Now, it's over and time to put the decorations down. Time to get back to normal. And, I'm not ready.

I don't want it to end. Not because of the presents under a tree. Not even for the wonderful BBQ that we had for lunch with homemade coconut pie for dessert. (although it was great!) I know it is not even the decorations that I'll miss. Those things do not make this season what it is.

It is the reminder that Christ chose to come to Earth. For Us. He became a man that felt pain and heartache. For Us. He came knowing that He was to die. For Us. Amazing! And because of Him, during this time of year, we tend to give a little bit more. We tell others how much they are loved. Family and friends become more dear.

Yes, I know. Those are things that should happen all year long. Maybe that should be my goal for next year. To carry the spirit of Christmas with me 12 months of the year ~ not just one. To make sure family and friends know how much they are loved and appreciated. To give more of myself and any resources that I may have all year long. To remember God everyday...even in my busy mess that I call life.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I'm not quite ready to take stuff down either! Last year I waited till the end of January. I promise not to do that this year, but I love the twinkly lights. ; )
Carrying Christmas all year is a wonderful New Year's resolution! : ) Hugs, girl!