Friday, December 9, 2011

SomeTHING vs. SomeONE




It's Christmastime once again, just in case you are still in denial. If you are a last minute shopper, then please, continue in denial for another week or so! ;) Me? Usually I am totally done by November except for stocking stuffers. I always love finding things throughout the year for my kids or my nieces and nephew. This year is, not so much. That's okay. As long as there are a few things for the kids to open Christmas morning, that is all that matters.

Christmas, after all, is not about the pretty paper and shiny ribbons. It is the story of love. Love from a Savior to you and me. Love that we should share with one another, not just during Christmas ~ but everyday. I find it amusing that while we are singing about peace on earth and good tidings toward men, people are hateful, pushing, fighting, stealing... all in the name of Christmas. (pepper spray? Really??) All for that next best gift. All for someTHING.

SomeTHING to fill up that void that everyone is searching for. SomeTHING to make us feel happy and content. SomeTHING that is real. When in fact, there is noTHING that can do it. Only someONE can fill that void in our hearts. SomeONE that is real and can make us content. The only someONE that we need is our Savior. He can do it all.

There have been several funerals this holiday season. I have another one of Monday. Funerals have a way of putting things in the right perspective. When it comes to the end of your life, all that stuff that was once under the tree which is now in a closet, doesn't matter. That is just stuff taking up room. The THINGS that matter are not THINGS. They are ONES. The someONES in your life that fill you with joy and make you smile. And, the someONE in Heaven that will give you peace now and always.




"Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing; thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; to the end that my glory may sing praise to thee and not be silent. O Lord, my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever." Psalms 30:11-12

No comments: