Monday, September 13, 2010

To Love, Not Judge

1 John 4:12
"No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another,
God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."



I'll be honest. There are times when that is easier said than done. It is so easy to look at some one and just see what's on the outside. What they present to rest of the world. I make snap decisions based upon that. I have three kids. Is this some one I want my kids to speak to? Is this some one I feel comfortable talking with? There are so many bad things out there. So many things that I want to protect my kids and, honestly, myself from. Yet, it's my job as a parent to prepare them....
not shelter them.


Yes, there are crazy people out there. Sick people that do sick things to children and adults. As much as I'd love to hover over my children, it's not doing them any good unless I teach them about the world. Teach me kids to yell "help", not just scream if some one tries to take them. Teach them to be aware of their surroundings and each other. Teach them when to fight and when to run. Teach them about the world with all of the joys and faults it has to offer. I believe that going to public school is a great tool to prepare kids for the world. They are around children that are not like them or the other kids at church. They are exposed to different ideas that we may have never thought of. Yes, they are around kids that don't believe in God. They are around different religions that I don't believe in. Isn't that the way it is for us in the world everyday? It's our chance and our children's chance to stand on our faith. I try to teach them not to judge others, just to give other kids a chance. The Bible says to love one another ~ Even the bullies. Even the brother that doesn't call or show up. Even ones that judge you. Yes, Jesus loved all of us.
1 John 4:21
"And he has given us this command: whoever loves God must also love his brother."


Some days are easier than others... Some people are easier than others... But, if I am to teach my children not to judge others and to give people a chance, I can do no less than to lead by example. I know that I can't do it alone. And I know that I will fail at times. This is a hard comandment to follow, but I know I must try.

No comments: