Sunday, September 19, 2010

Change. . .


Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to
prosper you, not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."


I cling to this promise. I am not very good at change. I tend to be more like the turtle where slow and steady wins the race. Not the rabbit which is bouncing from here to there, making change. I know this and it can be a good trait. I'm very loyal. I am forgiving. I'm one of those that you can call at 2 a.m. and I ask 'are you okay?' and 'what can I do?' Yet, there are times like now, when I wish I took change easier. I know in my head that sometimes we must be broken, so that God can make us what we are meant to be. Yet, that is never an easy process.

John 15:2
"He cuts off every branch in my that bears no fruit, while every branch that
does bear fruit, He prunes so it will be even more fruitful."

My husband's job, well, sucks really. He was working a month of nights. Then, a month of days. 12 hour shifts. Four days on then four days off. Usually during the summer months, he'd have to work two days overtime and only get two days off before doing it again. But, now, the recession is even hitting us. They have laid off around 60 people. They are working three 8-hour shifts. He got placed on third shift from 11 pm to 7 am. But, the worse is not over. There will be more layoffs. And ~ he's not that far from the bottom of the list anymore. He's worked there twelve years now and he's not that far from the bottom. Unbelievable. To top that off, they will be going down to a four day work week. 32 hours a week. This has been so hard to all of us. For him, he believes it's his job to provide for his family. And he has no control over what's going on. How can this happen? It's not like we're newlyweds just starting out. We should be on our feet supporting our family at this time in our lives, not struggling week by week just to get by. I always wonder why it is that in Heaven, money means nothing. Yet, we struggle with it so much here on Earth. I know it has to do with sin, but honestly, my dream on Earth would be to have a home, pay my bills, and go on a family vacation once a year. Simple right? Yet, it can be so hard.

Things are changing in our lives. We just have to trust in God right now that things will turn out, not just okay, but better. That the plans that He has for us is better than what we could even ask for. I am leaning heavily on the promises of God. For I know that I am a child of His. I can let it go to God, for there is nothing that can be done but to pray. For His will to be done. For strength. For compassion. For understanding. For a peace in my heart & mind.

1 Peter 1:6-7
"though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds
of trials. These have come so that your faith - of greater worth than gold,
which perishes even though refined by fire - may be proved genuine
and may result in praise, glory, and honor when
Jesus Christ is revealed."

No comments: