Monday, August 30, 2010

Progress??

Well, we have been doing the GFCF diet for a couple weeks now. The question is: Is it worth the hassle? Can I tell a difference? The short answer would be: YES! We have been very constant with the diet change besides some exceptions here and there. We want those exceptions to just be once a week. (if that) It is not always that easy though. Suppers at home are easy to control and make GFCF friendly. And, we eat at home most of the time. However, it's things like have the 5 roast beef sandwiches for $5 coupon at Arbys. Sitting down and everyone eating, than realizing Luke's not supposed to be eating it! For some reason, I knew in my head that he could have Subway (which is what I wanted) so, we headed to Arby's. Yeah, I know. Go figure!!

Grandma Yarbrough's birthday party was a couple weeks ago. I made a regular vanilla cake and cut it to make a flip flop. So, there were extra pieces of cake around the house. Which, of course, the kids munched on. Then, at the party, Luke had a large piece of cake. Geez!! The next morning, he was terrible! He was past the high functioning autism child he is and down to the 'typical' autism child you imagine. That Sunday, he was so cranky and out of sorts that he stayed home with Kent from church. People asked where he was and I just said he's sick. Which in my mind, he was. So, we're learning as we go. I got some lactose free cheese slices, which is not casein free and not on his diet, but it's the closest that I found at the store. I've taken ham slices and one slice of cheese cut up and rolled it in 2 corn tortillas. That's been in his lunch box a few times and he likes it. He doesn't seem to have any behavior changes with it. So, it might be a keeper in his diet. We will see.

I'm seeing a difference. Other people are seeing a difference. (he's communicating more) I can really tell when he has something that's not good for him!! :~) I don't think he'd be functioning in middle school as well without this change. I'd really hate to see him go through all these changes without the diet now. We are sticking with it. After school, the kids want to stop at Wendy's and get a frosty. Or McDonald's and get a $1 sundae. So far, it's Sonic with a slushy once in a while. Or home where I know I can find something safe. This journey is a bit rocky, but no one said it would be easy.

No comments: