Sunday, August 1, 2010

Did you know?

The Center for Disease Control stated in 2008 that 1 in 150 children in United States were diagnosed with autism. (four out of five patients are boys in case you were wondering) However, when the CDC look at children diagnosed with other disorders on the autism spectrum, such as ADD, PDD-NOS, Asperger's, ect., the number of children went to 1 in 6.

One in six children.

Out of a class of 30, statistically five are likely to have an autism related disorder.

That is not the only thing to think about. In the 20 years from 1975 to 1995, cancer rates for children rose by 20%, most rapid rates for children under 13 years old. A study also found that asthma among preschool children aged 3 - 5 years old rose by 160% from 1980 - 1994.


That scares me. It really opened my eyes to think about what's really causing all this? I was living in the 80's. It doesn't seem like that long ago. Yet, look at how things have changed. I have a child that is one of the statistics. And actually at that time, he was one of the many children out there without a diagnosis. And with the books I've read and the searches I've done, several doctors talk about autism being a psychiatric disorder. Give the child some therapy and hope for the best. A few books describe it as a medical illness. No quick fix available, but the earlier the diagnosis the better. Evidence over the past 30 years is starting to suggest autism may involve imflamation of the central nervous system. (AutismSpeaks.org) I know from experience that therapy does help. Luke's been in speech and occupational therapy since he was 4 years old. This last school year, he 'graduated' out of OT, which is such a big deal. But, I'm looking for more. I want more for my son. He wants a 'normal' life. And ~ I want that for him.

But, looking at the number of illnesses taking place in our children ~ something is wrong today. Generations are not living longer. Children are sick. I don't have the answers. I am just one of the many parents who are searching...

No comments: