Monday, August 9, 2010

A New Path Brings Change


Well, it's been a little over a week since we've started the GFCF diet for the family. I won't say that everything has been rainbows and tasted awesome, but it's been okay. Luke has his gluten free cereal with rice or soy 'milk' for breakfast. The rest of us are still using skim milk. There are a few cereals at Wal-Mart or Harps that are gluten free like Chex (rice, corn, honey nut), so that has helped. I've been making a fruit smoothie with the soy yogurt, blueberries, and his 'milk'. They taste just like the other ones I made with regular yogurt. Faith knows they're different and acts like they don't taste as good, but I think they taste better.


We did try some of the gluten free bread. And well ~ it's okay if you toast it. But seriously, if that was your only option ~ my sandwich consumption would go waaaayyyy down. I've checked out several books and got a lot of recipes for breads and even cakes that I can't wait to try. I've made spaghetti with rice noodles and realized that it's going to take 2 boxes instead of one to get the 'normal' amount as a wheat spaghetti box. But, I like the taste better than the wheat noodles we've been eating for years. I was never very fond of the nutty flavor of the wheat pasta. I also made chicken and noodles one night. I found the large rice elbow noodles and they were great. I cooked them in a separate pot and stirred them into my chicken mixture after they cooked. The water with rice noodles seem a lot starchier, so I don't think I'll ever cook them into my dish like I used to. Today I made gravy to go with some mashed potatoes and ham. I realize I need to have more chicken broth on hand. (some for the potatoes and some for home made gravy) It's not like I want my potatoes or gravy to have a 'vanilla flavor' that the soy milk has and every dinner I make has got to be for all of us. Luke feels different enough, I'm not going to give him a separate dinners. He's been wanting hamburgers lately. We had one without the bun the other night but it's just not the same. I've found a recipe to make hamburger buns that I'll have to try. So, I am learning as we go.


The thing that matters on this path is Luke. Can I see any difference yet? In the week that we've been doing it, Luke has been more social. He's not in his room watching TV or having his alone time as much. He is actually in the living room with us more. His ears do not seem as red. Pretty good for about a week! The true test will be when school starts and he has that stress in his life. I am going to see this diet through for the next few months ~ get his system cleaned out. We did go to the doctor to get his levels checked out. Poor guy has veins like his Momma. The nurse at the doctor's office wouldn't touch him and wanted him to drink lots of water and come back next morning. Next morning wasn't any better and she sent us to the hospital to get it drawn. One of those ladies wouldn't touch him so the other nurse had to. It took two sticks and an infant needle, but they got enough to send off. We should get the results the end of this week, maybe next week. I honestly don't think they'll find anything, but wouldn't it be terrible if years down the road we find out he had something we could have caught? That's the only reason the doctor agreed to get blood work. All this diet and vitamins for autism kids are still debated in the medical community. I am not waiting for them. It's my kid's future at stake. If replacing rice flour for white flour will make a difference, I'm willing to give it a try.

No comments: