Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Path Of IEP's



The Individualized Education Program...

Luke started speech and occupational therapy when he was 4 years old. He had an IEP going into kindergarten. They wanted to start him out with no support because although they'd like the kids to write their name and know their ABC's ~ it's technically not required. Just let him fail for several months, then give him some support. That didn't go over well with me. It didn't make sense not to try and actually help him when it's clear that he's already a slow learner. I had to call in support from Springdale's special education department to go over the school's plan, but I did get him services starting in kindergarten. Every year there's more testing of some kind. Another IEP. New teachers. The worry of getting the right or wrong teacher. Now, Luke starts not only another school year ~ but another school. Middle School. More responsibilities. More kids. More classes. More teachers. More bullies. And yes, we did another IEP at the end of 5th grade to get ready for all these changes.




One of the things that his classroom teacher, speech teacher, head of special ed, and myself wanted and put into his IEP was that he get placed with his two friends. Luke has had two friends since second grade. They are all each other has for the day. All three a bit odd in their own ways. Fitting together well. All they needed to do was put them in the same pod so they could at least have one of their classes together. Just one.....seriously is that too much? Maybe have PE together where they could laugh and have fun? Or even their wheel with music and art? Just something. Just to know that 5th block might suck but just hang in there until 6th block when I can see my friends. Just something... Do you remember those days in jr high where you couldn't wait until a certain period to see your BFF. Well, take that and multiply ~ that's how important it is for Luke. So, guess what they did?




Luke and his two friends are in three different 'pods'. None of them are together. I've spoke to the vice principal (nice guy) and counselor (still undecided about her). They are telling me that they will see each other at lunch/social time. Well, yeah. We knew that when we wrote the IEP and decided that Luke needed more time with his friends. They told me that they talked to his homeroom teacher and she is going to help him make friends. I laughed at that one. Seriously! Do you not think that every teacher in every grade has not tried to help Luke made other friends?? Does she not know anything about special needs kids??? The end of last year after his IEP, Luke was scared and worried. I told Luke that he'd have his two friends. I might have to be the mother every principal dreads and hides from, but I am doing my best to see that I keep my word to Luke.




I am trying to point out that his IEP was made the end of last year and should have been taken into account when doing scheduling. Just because they didn't open that e-mail when working on the schedules, it's not my son's fault. Of course the counselor is telling me that it's "recommended" and "if possible" is what it states in the IEP. That just lets me know that she's trying to wiggle out of the problem. (that would be the reason I'm undecided about her yet) So, Friday will be another day of phone calls and worries and high blood pressure. Tonight ~ I am going to pray that God will open up that window and make it possible. Help me find that path that is right for my son...




No comments: