Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Days 19 thru 23: Thankfulness

Day 19:  My day just wouldn't be the same without Christian radio like KLRC.  I am thankful that there are stations and artists that put me in the right frame of mind.   They remind me as I am driving or at home that God's with me where ever I am.  Their message has to the power to speak to me even when my mind might be going 100 miles an hour on something else.  It blesses me to hear my daughter singing in the back of the car.  Or my son ask me to turn it up.  So thankful.

Day 20:  I am thankful for my brother-in-law, Brent.  In February, it will be 16 years I've been married.  Through the years, Brent has become truly like a brother to me.  Being a family is not held together by blood relation.  Family are people held together by memories, times spent together, and love.  My Dad would always speak of Uncle Howard as his brother.  (Although Howard was his brother-in-law.)  I am lucky enough to have that as well.  He is there to give me a hard time and pick on me as a brother should.  Yet, I know he is there when I need it.  (like the hours he has put into our house the past couple months!!) I am very thankful that God has given me a brother like Brent in my life.

Day 21:  Where would I be without friends??  Seriously, where would any of us be?  The laughter through the years.  Inside jokes.  Songs on the radio.  Movies.  The tears.  The moments when everything is stripped away and there's nothing left but beat-up heart and red-rimmed eyes.  (usually a running nose as well)  And there is a shoulder to lean upon in the mists.  No, friends don't have magic that can make everything better.  But, they have an open heart and open arms.  I wouldn't have made it this far without my friends through the years.  When I was younger, friends brought me to church.  Through the years, they have shown me the love of Christ.  What a blessing!

Day 22:  I am thankful for our church family.  We go to a church of around 200.  There are several large, even "mega" churches.  We attended one close by for around a year (several years ago).  But, it never felt like home.  Does that make sense?  When you go, no one really knows you.  There's so many people in the congregation, the pastors never make a personal relationship with you.  You are just one of many.  When there's a death in the family or illness, who really knows or cares?  It just felt very impersonal.  I know a lot of people go to the mega churches (or they wouldn't be so large..ha ha!)  But, I am just saying that they are not for me.  If I am in Texas, yes, I'd love to sit through Joel Osteen preach to 10,000.  But, for most Sundays, I'd like to shake your hand and welcome you.  And, notice if your gone or cook a dish for your family member's funeral.

Day 23: I am also thankful for my in-laws.  When I got married, I married into a large family.  Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins live nearby.   A bit overwhelming at first. :)  But, since I came from such a small family, I loved it!  It is such a blessing that my children know not only their aunt and uncles but their great-aunts and uncles!  I love getting together with everyone a couple times a year.   My father and mother-in-law also helped us get into our home which I'm so thankful!   My in-law family are a blessing that I don't take for granted.

No comments: