Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Brotherly Love

What will it take for God to get your attention?

That's a good question. For Christians, it is very easy to put God on the back burner. Yes, we know He's there. We cry out if something comes up. But, when do we stop just going through our lives on auto ~ and ask for His guidance... His help... His strength daily?

Right now, what's on my heart are the others. The ones like my Dad was. I'm not really sure what or if he had a spiritual life growing up. I just know that I didn't go to church growing up. Once I started going with friends and would try to talk to him about it, he just talked about how 'they' stuck their noses down at others, how judgemental they are, and he just didn't need it. Then, cancer came and got Dad's attention. It changed him. He had the chance to talk with other's about God before he died. He knew God before he passed away. Not the Christians that sometimes get in the way of God's real message... but, God. The loving Father.

Psalm 46:10
"He says, Be still and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."

My brother is on my heart again. I haven't heard from him in over a year besides a message on Facebook. He told me that his doctor wanted to know what kind of cancer Dad had. Yeah, I know. That would imply that his doctor is doing testing on something. Of course, I don't know any more than that. (He wouldn't tell me.) I've prayed for years for my brother to be able to let go of some of his hurt and anger. To forgive because it's proven that anger that lives inside can cause true health problems. To become a part of our family. Maybe this is my brother's attention grabber. I don't know. I just know that I'll be there if or when he calls. I know that I love him. Not because of something he's done or not done. Just because it is. He's my family. I don't know my brother's relationship with God right now, because I honestly don't know him. I do know that God loves him and can see him through anything. And if given the chance, I'd be there too.

Psalm 59:16-17
"But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love;
For you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.
You are my strength, I sing praise to you;
you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely."

No comments: