Monday, March 24, 2014

Momma' Bear Growls Again

This is supposed to be spring break.  We're only getting 3 days off because of all the snow, but I'll take it.  It's to the point when we all need a break, even if it is cut short.  The school year is almost done.  Which is kinda hard for me to believe.  Wasn't it just Thanksgiving not that long ago?  Anyways --  Luke's teachers have had him all year.  The year is almost over.  They should know a little bit about his IEP. (even if it took half a year to figure out he had one!)   They should have some idea what he can do and what he cannot do.  But apparently not.
Not a recent picture, of course :)  Luke and big brother, Joey

Luke's civics teacher has handed him a blank world map and expected him to use the word bank of 55 countries and fill it in.  Seriously.  Ummm.... every hear of a memory disorder??   It's clearly stated that he has one.  It's clearly stated that his assignments be reasonable.  He failed the test twice already.  When I say failed, I mean a very low F.  Luke was about to go on and do it again.  No, I don't think so. 

So, tonight an e-mail went out which included the teacher and the special education principal at the school.  (there is one assigned to spEd)  And we studied the first row of countries in which included North American and South American countries.  And guess what -- with a couple acronyms like Cows Vomit Apples (Columbia, Venezuela, Argentina).... Luke might pass this test. 

His math -- well, it's even worse.  He is not comprehending the algebra at all.  I don't know if it's one of the teachers (he's not fond of)  or if it's the subject.  But, that grade is a solid F and we have to get it up to passing.  Maybe it's the way she is explaining it, but he doesn't get it at all.  It is hard to watch him struggle so hard and the teachers just think he's lazy because his works not turned in.  (and she's one of the special ed teachers!!!)

Luke with baby Olivia.  He was so excited to hold her
In Hebrews God says, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."   I know that God's plan for Luke's life (and mine)  included everything we are going through.  It included teacher that did not understand.  It included bad grades that affect his self-image.  It included me having to be the thorn in some people's flesh.  I just wish I could fix it.  Not for myself,  but for Luke.  His struggles very few will understand.  I am blessed to be his mother.  I do love him so much, but I know that God loves him even more.  I trust the promises of God for my life, and more importantly, for my children's lives.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jen, I admire your strength especially when it comes to your kids. Keep fighting, things will get better. Love you, Denise