Thursday, February 7, 2013

Just another Autistic Day

Before church on Wednesday, we stopped at Wendy's.  While I was in line waiting, I looked around and notice some people in front of me with Special Olympics backpacks on.  I look behind to figure out where my children were and make sure they were not doing anything.  I see a few older children that are participants.  My heart just breaks for not only the children but the families represented there.  I know that God has a plan for each and every one of us.  It's just hard to remember that some times.

So, the Special Olympics group were ordering large quantities and we needed to go.  The wait was too long unless we wanted to be late to church.  We get into the car and my oldest is in the front says something like, "I'm glad we left.  I don't know what to do around special kids."  (He loves old people and kids just nervous around special needs kids.)  I trying not to cry while driving because special needs children tend to get me emotional.  I go into a spill about how blessed we are.  That we don't know what God's going to give us.  Then without thinking, I said, "you think that Luke is bad sometimes, autism is nothing compared to what he could have."  Luke, sitting in the back seat listening, jumps in and says, "Hey!! Hello?  I'm in the backseat!!"

You've probably forgotten what they even look like.  I realized I haven't put any pictures up in a long time.  My kids have grown so much!  Both of my boys are taller than me.  :(

Christmas time with my family.
from left to right:  Shailyn & my nephew, Phillip.
Summer (my niece), Joey (in red), Cara (my niece),
Luke (in navy), and Faith (in front)

My littlest niece wasn't in the picture, but here's
Abby at her 8th birthday party in January.  :)

 Autism, well, it is just a part of our family.  It's just another day.  I am thankful for moments where we can laugh at it.  (even Luke thought it was funny)  Because there are so numerous other moments where laughter is the farthest thing from my mind!!  It does drive us crazy at times.  God has a wonderful plan that I get to be a part of.  I am still learning because Luke has changed as he has grown.  His autism has changed so I am going to start doing more research to see what I can do to help.  He's worth all of the effort.

No comments: