Thursday, February 21, 2013

Birthday Girl, Faith

It really is true how time flies.  My little six pound baby girl turned 11 this week.  My baby is no longer a baby.  :(   She is in her last year of elementary school, actually she only has about 4 months left.  Faith is ready.  (momma not so much)  She has always been ready to grow up.

She refused to nurse between 9 - 10 months.  She would only drink from a sippy cup.  I remember how I wasn't ready.  I wanted those last few months.  Faith was even walking before 12 months.  At her 1 year birthday party, she was walking between everyone like it was no big deal.  Even when she went to kindergarten, she didn't want me to walk her in.  (I did, of course, crying like all the other mother's walking out the door.)  The thought of middle school doesn't make her nervous at all.  She is  ready.  Faith is always ready to grow up before I  am ready to let go.

I've read all of those parenting books about how this is a good thing.  You want your child to be independent and secure.  You want them to be able to make their own choices.  You don't want your child to always cling to you and need your assurance.  You raise your child to be able to fly on their own.  Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I know.   I'm trying.   It's just still hard sometimes to let go.

But, when you do let go, what a beautiful thing!  She is able to be who she really is.  Not who we thought they would be.  And, who she is really is and what God is doing through her is more than I could have planned.  It is hard not to hover and cling, but it is worth it.  I am proud of the young girl she is becoming.

For instance, I always to the Valentine Class party.  The past couple years, I've been doing it with another classmate's mother.  Her son, "Daniel," has special needs.  Faith is very protective of him.   Daniel's mother told me that Faith is child she requests to be put with her son every year during the IEP conference.  That is why they have been in the same class since 1st or 2nd grade.  I am so proud of my baby.   My daughter makes a difference to him.  It makes me cry just thinking about it from both the point of view of a special needs mother and Faith's Mom.  Even during the party, Daniel was off by himself and Faith went over and got him so he could be in her group.  I didn't even notice but Daniel's mother did and almost cried when she told me.   She told me, "that is why I ask for Faith."  Which, of course, I cried because I understand her like no one else could.

Her compassion towards others is inspiring.  Such understanding especially from a young age.  Even her teacher told me at this last conference how much she appreciates that there is no drama with Faith.  None of the little bickering that girl's do.  She just walks away when her friends start and will go play with some one else.  She tries to be everyone's friend.  I love that even more than I love her straight A's! :)

I don't know what God's plans are for my little girl.  I know that her life is in His hands.  (there is not a better place to be!)  I like to think that I am doing something right in raising her as I see her independence and her compassion towards others.  But, I know that I cannot take credit for it.  It is the light of God shinning through her in those moments.  I am just blessed that she is my daughter.


Happy 11th Birthday Faith Kathleen!

No comments: