Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Legacy

I was sitting with Grandma playing a game of rummy. She was talking of the past. When she was smaller. When she newly married about her in laws. When the kids were little. Of family that has gone on before. There were happy tears at times. She spoke of what she wanted to be remembered for. I found this quote some where:

"The victory of a life well lived is
measured purely by love you
have created for yourself and others."

It makes me stop and think, what is it that I want to be remembered for? Luckily for me, having a house in perfect order at all times is not one that tops the list! :) I want to be remembered as a woman of faith. A good mom and wife. A person that loves her family. And ~ just happens to be able to cook pretty good too! :) A woman willing to help others that has compassion. To be remembered like that, means that I have to be living like that right now. I also know that a good meter to measure how you living is your kids. What are they learning by your example?

My kids have a lot of compassion. Not always for each other, but I'm hoping that will change as they grow older and mature! LOL Joey has such a heart for the elderly and he respects the past and history. Luke loves animals. His heart is for any dog or animal walking around. Faith, her compassion is filled for those special kids that need a little help. Maybe, just maybe ~ they have learned some compassion from home. Do they know how much I rely on God? Do they know how much I lean on Him? That's harder for me because those times are spent with just God and I. I know they've heard me say several times that we'll make it through with God's help. And we pray together as a family. They see me reading books about God and know that I write about God. So, maybe they are picking up on some of it. My legacy of tomorrow begins today.

"The character of your children tomorrow depends on what you
put into their hearts today."

1 comment:

Holly said...

You are right!! They look at today to see what we value. It's totally what we do, not what we say. When my kids : )
Bless you for trying so hard. You are a great mom! : )