Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Mask of A Christian

"Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon
you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 
But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also
rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed."   1 Peter 4:12-13

God never said that our life would be easy. He warns us that it won't be.  We were at Target and my oldest, Joey, found a t-shirt that he really wanted.  It said, "May your life be as interesting as you pretend it is on Facebook."  When did we start covering everything up?  Glossing over life so that the image looks better?

It's not real.   After all of the small talk, then what happens?   I get so tired of fake things.

My kids laugh at me because I can just get through growling at them for something and a second later, answer the phone is the most pleasant voice like everything is fine.  (they, of course, do this when my normal mood has returned! LOL)  We all do this, don't we?  Cover it up...just a little bit.

Afraid of....what?  judgement of others?  Maybe even gossip?


"My companion stretched out his hand against his friends; he violated his
 covenant.  His speech was smooth as butter, yet war was in his heart;
his words were softer than oil, yet they were drawn swords."  
Psalms 55:20-21

I believe it's okay to take down the mask.  We are all struggling just trying to make it another day.  Some are wonderful and we can feel the blessings pouring out on us.  Then, there are days that we start out with a cold because the water heater broke and end up with food poisoning from Mexican take out.  Those days where we want to throw our hands up and yell, "I can't take this anymore!!"

We all have different battles.  Some of the hard ones for me might have been easy for you.  So, instead of your judgement, I might have just needed a hug and some advice.  My promise is that I will do the same for you.  Some of your hardships might just need a different perspective.  Or, they might just need a shoulder that can handle some tears.  I can do either one.  :)  

Living behind a mask is a lonely place.  Let's set them aside and see who we really are.  The people God wanted us to be all along.   After all, He sees behind our facade all of the time....

No comments: