Monday, August 19, 2013

New School Year

2007:  Joey, 4th / Luke, 3rd / Faith, K

One of the many first days of school.  Of course, in those days, they loved picking out their school supplies.  As you can tell, the boys didn't even mind wearing the same t-shirt.  Lunch boxes were so important.  And, backpacks told your personality.  At that age, my kids were usually getting on each others nerves by the time school starts.  And, I was ready to send them back!!!

Fast forward a few years... I have one starting high school, one in junior high, and one in middle school.  This summer they got along better and there was less fighting.  And, I'm not really ready to send them back.  I want a little more time with them.  It is here, ready or not.  Yes, I still made them stop and pose for a first day of school photo shot.  I realize I only have a few more years of these to go.  :(

2013:  Joey, 10th / Luke, 9th / Faith, 6th
My kids have grown and changed.  But, that is part of God's plan.  We are to grow and to no longer be spoon fed.  Our light needs to be bright so others can see.  When I look at my kids, I see that potential that God sees when He looks at each of us.  I am not a big believer in sheltering my kids in a small little bubble that revolves around them.  I see that so much today in many people's parenting.  No, I don't want them to be exposed to everything, of course.  But, Jesus didn't just talk the talk.

Jesus didn't just sit in a circle with His twelve disciples and talk.  He was out there in the real world.  Where there is sickness.  Where there were prostitutes.  There were were people possessed by demons.  Hello?!  There were bad things in the world then and now.  Many parents want to home-school their children to keep them apart from the world.  God has called us to be Salt and Light.  How can we do this when we are trying so hard to be separate??

Sorry, I'll save that for another post.  :)  I just look at my children and I am proud.  Proud because they have had some wonderful teachers that have taught them way more than what was in the book.  Teachers that have given them a different perspective than I have thought of.   I am proud at the influence that my children have had over their teachers and friends.   I am proud that when my kids say something about church, others know they are not just a pew warmer.  They are Salt and Light for God.  I couldn't ask for anything more.

No comments: