Friday, December 21, 2012

False Friends

I remember growing up there were girls that were mean and ugly.  There always are.  Yet, it is one thing when it happens to me.  And, a totally different thing when it happens to my baby girl.  I know, she is in 5th grade but it doesn't matter how old she gets ~ she will be my baby girl.  :) 

The drama now?  I guess some girls where talking at recess about Christmas.  They where talking about their iPods and stuff.  Faith mentioned that she didn't have one.  Her "friend" looked at her and told her, "Just ask Santa.  I ALWAYS get EVERYTHING on my Christmas list."  Faith with her logical mind knows there isn't a Santa but just kept her mouth shut.  Then, I guess this "friend" was also telling people that Faith said she likes having rich friends so gets stuff.  What a friend right?  Faith actually kind of confronted her (so proud!) and told her she never said that.  Her friend retracted a bit and said she heard it from somewhere.  Then, to top off my daughter's week ~ the same "friend" gave her two mini-erasers for Christmas and told her that she expected a gift too.

I talked with Faith about friends last night.  Real Friends don't brag, don't tell lies about you, and don't expect gifts.  There are alot of girls that are nice to you in front of your face, but they are not real friends.  I spoke with her about false friends.  Encouraged her to be nice to her false friend so it doesn't add to the drama.  This is the second time this "friend" has spread rumors about my girl.  Does NOT make a momma' happy! Faith wanted to give her a present so she wouldn't be mad.  I gave in and agreed mainly thinking it would calm the drama down.

Finding real friends are hard no matter what age you are.  I love how the encyclopedia of philosophy puts friendship:  "a personal relationship grounded in concern of the welfare of each other."  It doesn't talk about your backgrounds being the same.  Or you religions must match.  Or your incomes being the same.  All the stuff doesn't matter.  Friendship is about looking at each other without judgement and accepting what you see.  It's about caring and concern.  Friendship is love.

1 Thessalonians 5:11
"Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing"

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil.
For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow.  But woe to him who is alone when
he falls and has not another to lift him up!

No comments: