Monday, December 3, 2012

Cleaning Time: Laundry Soap

It really is hard to believe that December is here.  This week, our weather has been in the 70's.  Which, for northern Arkansas ~ it is very weird.  We've been working on our kitchen for months now and it is finally coming together.  (I'll post pictures soon)  I actually ran a dishwasher tonight for the first time since August!! It felt wonderful.  :)  I know, I know.  But, a family of 5 without a dishwasher and only a mud room sink to wash dishes in....VERY thankful for the dishwasher!

I've recently got on Pinterest.  Yes, I know, I am late bloomer, right? I have found it is true what my friends have said.  It is very easy to get hooked on.  When ever you log on, there are always new recipes, crafts, or home ideas.  Pin this or like that.  So cool.  It's like every kind of magazine right there without any ads in the middle! ;D

Of all the things I've found on there, pinned, and actually tried ~ the laundry soap is great.  Just a few ingredients that I found at Harps (local grocery store) and ta-da!  Over 2 gallons of laundry soap!

1 bar of soap (any kind you want)
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of washing soda
a big bucket ( that holds more than 2 gallons)

I grate...okay, well, my daughter grates the bar of soap.  They recommend Ivory but I've been using a Dial for the scent.  Go ahead and place 2 gallons of water in your large bucket.  With a half a gallon of water, I heat the grated soap until it melts.  Then, I add the borax and washing soda.  Cook it for a little longer until the borax and washing soda has dissolved.  Turn off and add the soap mixture to your bucket with the 2 gallons of water.  That's it!  It does thicken overnight.  The original recipe called for just the 2 gallons of water, but I figured out I added about a half of gallon so why not add it in the beginning? :)  I use a half of cup per load of laundry.   Seeing my home made laundry soap makes me happy because (1) it is SOO much cheaper and (2) I know exactly what is going in my laundry soap.  And if you need a (3), it only takes about 15 or 20 minutes to make.

My Jars of Soap bring a smile to my face :)

No comments: