Monday, December 6, 2010

Friends are the Family you choose


The Brooks



Madison, MaKinna, and Jaden Brooks

When I was growing up, I didn't have aunts or uncles that lived by. I honestly can't tell you the name of any of my cousins. I only saw them when my Grandparents died at their funerals. But, I had a friend that was like a second mother to me. She took on the role of what I think of as an aunt. She was the one that I could talk to that was kinda' like my mother ~ but wasn't. LOL :-) I knew that no matter what, she would always love me. I also knew in the back of my mind that if something major happened, she would tell my parents. But, for the little dramas of just growing up, she would keep my secrets. I remember going to Sonic and ordering a couple cherry limeades and just sitting their talking. About boys. About mean girls. About the life of a girl growing up. God chooses our family, but we have a say in who we choose as our friends. I want my kids to have that relationship with some one. They need it. As much as I want my kids to tell me everything and have an open relationship so they can talk with me, I know that won't happen. I know that secrets will be kept as they grow older. My parents don't know everything and I was a very mild teenager. I want my kids to have some one older and wiser then they are, who will love them unconditionally, to listen when they feel like they can't talk to me.



I also want to be that person because I know how important it is. Those three children in the photos are very important to me. They are my closest friend's children. They have a large family that loves them, but they also have me. I love them as well. They have been part of my life since Jaden was born and what a blessing it has been. I also have nieces and a nephew that I love unconditionally. Who knows what lies ahead for any of us? I believe that our children need the support and love, not just from us, as parents~ but others as well. Faith was in second grade and two girls were bulling her. I don't remember getting picked on until 6th grade. Things have changed. Our children need love and understanding and acceptance. Sometimes they do not get it at home, so they look for it elsewhere. Sometimes it is in the home, but our children do not accept it so they look elsewhere. Where will our children look? Friends are the family you choose. We must choose wisely and teach our children to do the same.

No comments: