Thursday, November 11, 2010

Missing You

The doctors' gave him 6 months.

But God gave him two years.


It is Vetern's Day once again. This day last year, I sat with my Dad in a hospital room. That morning, I went through the denial stage very quickly. There wasn't any room for denial. Everyone knew that this was it. My mom sat on one side of the bed holding one hand. I sat on the other side of the bed holding the other hand. My husband in the chair beside me. The only sound was our tears and his breathing. Each labored breath.


I remember telling him over and over how much we loved him and that it's okay to let go. He made it through the night with my mom and I beside him. Kent left to be with the kids. The next morning, Kent came back and we sat waiting once again. Then, at 11:30 a.m., we knew this was it. It's so odd that we knew. The room just felt different. We all stood up around the bed holding his hands. I kept repeating, "I love you." And, at 11:33 my Dad took his last breath.

God blessed us with two years. Two years that had it's share of pain, physical and mental. But, they were also filled with joy. Trick or treating with the kids. Birthday parties. Cookouts. Christmas. Just having lunch together. Or him taking the kids to Dairy Queen. In those two years, each time we left, he gave us a hug, a kiss, and told each of us that he loved us. That is a true blessing. We never did that before. It was a 'see ya'. But, when cancer comes around and you don't know if there will be a next time ~ 'see ya' turns into a 'love you'.

No comments: