MTHFR
One of my tests came back and I have a genetic mutation called MTHFR C677T. You can look at the letters and tell what the doctors all called it in med school! (yes that told me that!) 😂 I am one of 20 - 30% of Caucasians that have this mutation. Which at the scientific level means that the DNA base cytosine (C) is replaced by thymine (T). At the basic sticker level -- it means that my body does not process B vitamins. I am have been taking in my Multivitamin, a B12 pill, and folic acid each and every day. And my body has not been able to use it and it's probably now contaminated my body. I have to switch to a mentholated vitamin. Which sounds easy enough, right? Thank goodness the person that called to tell me about my diagnosis is a pharmacist and has this mutation as well. Because there is so much more than just taking a different vitamin.
The MTHFR gene is critical in the methylation cycle. Which since I have not studied medical things -- I didn't realize how important this is. Methylation is responsible for hormone regulation, immune function, neurotransmitter production, DNA repair, inflammation, cardio issues, and detox. So when you have this mutation, the MTHFR enzyme only works at about 40%. Unless you have it on both sides of your DNA and the about goes up to 70 - 80%.
When it's not working properly, you end up an excess of the amino acid called homocysteine. Having high levels of this in your system can damage inner limning of arteries, blood clots which can lead to heart attacks or strokes, and even preeclampsia (which I had with all 3 of my children). It can also lead to dementia (my mother), brain fog, and cognitive decline. Your body also cannot filter out toxins like everyone else. People with this mutation do not produce enough SAMe which is essential is for the body to get rid of heavy metals or toxins. (think even mercury in tuna & other fish plus environmental toxins)
There are plenty of other symptoms of MTHFR that are common. I have several but never knew there could be one cause for all. Here is the list:
Depression & anxiety -- Bipolar disorder -- ADHD -- Insomnia -- Chronic fatigue that sleep does not help -- Endometriosis -- Miscarriages -- High Blood Pressure -- Digestive Issues -- Migraines -- Chronic Inflammation -- Infertility -- Hormone Imbalance
The pharmacist even talked about simple things like not healing quickly. This mutation is on our DNA which makes duplicating and cellular repair at lot harder. So like when I fell on the ice in January, my knee ended up with a scar where most people would have healed normally. MTHFR also effects your thyroid function. It changes they way your body handles nutrients and changes the chemical process to keep your thyroid healthy.
So now what? It really isn't anything majorly drastic. But I have to stop those 3 vitamins mentioned and switch to the mentholated versions. I am also adding in 2 others that have been mentioned on several other medical articles that I have found. But the main thing will be to quit eating anything with enriched flour. At home that's easy. I switched to King Arthur flour that does not have additives. The crackers that I've been eating have already been gluten free and they did not enrich their product. Chinese or Thai food is fine because I usually get rice or rice noodles. Mexican food I get corn tortillas anyway. Other foods -- I know the other options since Luke has been gluten free for many years. It's not like I have to eat GF, it is just usually less likely to have enriched flour.And the pharmacist even said, it will not kill you when you eat something your not supposed to. You just follow it most of the time and then decide if what you want to eat is worth is or not. Right now, I am waiting for my new supplements to arrive this week. And, I am trying to detox my body. Who knew that taking that multivitamin with B in it - was making my inflammation worse. Thankful for these new doctors that are trying to look at the big picture and what could be causing everything going on.
As for my pain, it has been a rough weekend. Pain is pretty constant. Praying these new supplements will give some relief as I try to detox my body and lower my bad levels. Rheumatologists are wanting to meet with each other to see what my next step is. He would like to figure out why my arthritis is already in such late stages at only 50. I am going to be making an appointment with my podiatrist so he can get a MRI scheduled for my feet. I am just taking it day by day. This weekend was hard so hoping the week ahead will get better.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
Comments