Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Time Flies

It is hard to believe that it is already the middle of January.  Where does the time go?  Some times it just feels like you get into the rut of life.  Get up...get the kids going...head to work...work...get kids...then time to start homework and supper...dish, showers...all that stuff.  Then, once I look up and pay attention....a couple weeks have passed!

If I am not careful, this precious time with my kids will be gone.  Already it is the second semester of school.  I am just months from having a son in high school!!!  I need to take the time to live intentional.  Not just keep going on the treadmill so to speak.  Although to be honest, I should actually start on an actual treadmill! lol ;D

That reminds me of a verse in Matthew:

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy  
that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate
 is  narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who
 find it are few."   Matthew 7:13-14

These verses make me look at my life.  Am I, a mother, doing a good job leading my children down the narrow path?  My children have their own decisions to make.  They have their own relationship with God to develop.  I don't want to be just a good enough mother (or person for that matter.)  I want more.

I want to be the person they can look up to.  (okay, I realize I have teenagers and it might be a few years!!LOL)  But, also the friend others can count on.  The cheerleader (wordplay people!  I do not own pom-poms!)  to other children, not just my own.  I love that Faith has friends that love to come to our house.  We stay up and play board games or Just Dance.   Help them make some cookies and frosting.  I like being the fun one.  When I was younger, I always wanted to spend the night at my friends houses.  I didn't want it to be like that with my children.

Living intentional is hard.  There is only so much we can cram in one day and still get enough sleep to function for the next day.  But, I can make sure to include those intentional moments through out the day.   The years go by too fast when our children are with us.  They need to see our relationship with God to know it's important.  They need to hear words of love and encouragement, not just expect them to know.  They watch to see how we treat others and that is how they will respond.   Those little moments through out the day really stick with the little eyes watch us.

No comments: