Saturday, February 18, 2012

Month of Service: February






Today we did our February month of service through Faith In Action. We went into Fayetteville, to a lady's home that is in her 70's. She has diabetes and well as some other issues. She loses her balance easily and cannot get down on the floor or high up to clean. So, another family, the Anderson's, joined mine today and went to help. (Thank you! Thank you!) Some of us worked outside raking up gumballs from her tree that she trips over. I worked inside and cleaned out her kitchen cabinets with a few helpers. She was very appreciative to the work that we did. We were only there until close to noon but in those short hours, we helped her living conditions.

I couldn't help feeling disappointed today though. I was hoping to get a couple families to help us out today because we didn't know what we were getting into. After all, we've been talking about service in church for sometime now. So, I sent the e-mail asking for help a couple weeks ago. Then again, last week. In my heart, I really felt that I'd get too much help and have to tell some that I'll call them next time. Sadly though, most (not all) didn't even bother to reply.

My husband pointed out that they are not on the same journey as I am. They may not feel as committed to service as I do. They haven't made the commitment to God, our family, and publicly to everyone here about making it a year of service. Yes...yes... I know all that. But...well, right now...I'm just a bit disappointed. I know, I need to work on that. I know that is not what God wants me to get out of this experience, but that is just me being honest.

What will March bring? I'm not really sure yet. Still looking around for what we can do...where we can go. The kids are enjoying it. They look forward to the next adventure. I believe it teaches them so much being hands on and getting involved. They realize first hand how others live. It also is teaches them that they can make a difference. God is leading this, so I know that we are in good hands!


"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."
Albert Einstein

4 comments:

Roxana Henderson Estep said...

You should have thought of asking the Estep's. Very few people do think of that. Perhaps it is because of Ray's seizures. Anyway, we have a heart for service and always love to help.

Jen Snow said...

I will be sure to put you on my e-mail list Roxy! I'm sorry I didn't include you this time. I just knew you seem to always be busy. I just didn't want to add another thing to you guys, but I'll be sure to ask next time we need help. :)

Kacee said...

I let you down, Jen. There are no excuses. Thought about it doing it (Jason had to work), had another commitment come up, and never got around to sending you a reply...it was rude of me and I want you to know that I am truly very sorry! Please forgive me!!

Jen Snow said...

I hope that you didn't take it personally. I was just saying my side of it..my opinion. I shouldn't take it personally but it was bothering me, so that is what I wrote about. Jason mentioned the volleyball game last night when we talked. I know everyone has busy lives and things they have/want to do. I know that you didn't ignore me intentionally, so it is fine. Really.