Saturday, August 30, 2014

Little Eyes Looking At Us

It feels like it's been forever since I've been able to write on here! My computer was on the brink and I just don't like to write at the library. But, I am back y'all! :)  To catch everyone up, lets see... kids are now in school.  For the first time, I didn't get a first day of school picture.  :(  I think one of mine was still in bed moaning when I left for work actually!  I now have a junior, sophomore, and a 7th grader.  My kids are getting bigger and older, hopefully I am getting a bit wiser.  One thing I realize, it doesn't matter how big they get  ---  little eyes are always watching me.

I know today that I am one of the most important examples for my children to look up to.  How I treat others is how they learn to treat others.  What is important to me is what will become important to them.  And we all know that action speaks louder than words.... So, what is important to me?  And to them??

How should I even begin to unravel these questions?  To me, something of importance is something that you do even when it's not convenient.  Let's look at an example.  One of the first things that pops in my mind is the importance of God and church.  So, how am I proving this to my kids? They know when I am struggling with problems, I am praying to God.  I am leaning on His strength. Sometimes it is in the little things.   Like for example, I have to set my alarm for church.  I love to sleep or lounge in my pj's.  But, I have a weekly alarm for me to get up and ready for church.  I make small group night a priority.  I  co-teach a class for junior high.  My kids see in my actions every week that God and church is a priority. Now, even when I am dragging and my pj's are feeling a little too comfy on Sunday morning, my kids are pushing me to get me up and ready because they are ready to go.  They have God and church as a priority in their life now.

Another subject of importance for me would be serving others.  That is why we volunteer.  That's why I am on the youth board.  That's why we help before we are asked.  My kids now have a heart for service.  They love to get out there and help others.  I know that if I didn't take them to nursing homes and bake cookies for firemen when they were little, it would seem odd to them now.  Seeing my children serve others makes me so proud.

I am not a perfect mother.  I have moments that I am not proud of.  But, those big things like God, service, and family are a priority in my life.  I don't just talk about them and their importance.  I show my kids with my actions, that they are important.  What are your examples showing your kids?  What is important to you?  Work?  Yourself?  A bigger home?  A new car?  Are you showing by example that God and church doesn't matter?  Remember, actions speak louder than words.  What do your actions say?

No comments: